Susan Davis White has been in the private practice of law in Charlottesville, VA since 1975, specializing in Family, Divorce and Custody Law. A University of Virginia Law School graduate, Ms. White switched to collaborative law after 30 years as a successful litigator. ”Doing collaborative law has changed my life. Court is exciting, but it’s stressful and I realized the confrontational legal approach is just not necessary or appropriate for so many couples. Fixing blame for things that happened in the past doesn’t interest me. I want to focus on helping couples reach win-win solutions so they can move forward with their lives.”
- “Establishing Limits for Clients in Family Law Disputes,” 14 Virginia State Bar Family News (Spring 1994)
- “Confronting the Tower of Psychobabble: The Role of Mental Health Professionals in Custody Disputes,” Virginia Lawyer (November 1993)
- “The Role of Client Emotional Disorders in Family Law Representation,” 11 Virginia State Bar Family Law News (Winter 1991).
Professional Activities & Associations
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America under Family Law since 1997 and under Collaborative Law since 2002
- Listed in Super Lawyers (2008) and Legal Elite, Virginia Business (2007)
- Member of the Board of Governors, Family Law Section of the Virginia State Bar from 1991 to 1995
- Member, Virginia Bar since 1975
- Member, Bar of the US District Court, Western District, since 1976
- Member, Bar of the Supreme Court of the United States, since 1979
- Member, Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association
- Commissioner in Chancery for the Sixteenth Judicial District of the US Courts of Appeal, 1985-present.
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Member, Virginia Collaborative Professionals, Chair of Standards Committee, 2008
- Member, Central Virginia Collaborative Professionals